Skip to main content

WEEKLY DEVOTIONAL: Lost Art of Blessing A Meal

                                                                 21 January, 2017

When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. Deuteronomy 8:10-14

I watched the pot of rice steam and boil on the gas burner; it had cost almost a fortune because of the biting economic recession in my country. Alas, I was grateful I had something to eat that night. Often times we lose the benefit of tranquility that absorbs the mind overwhelmed with gratitude to God over little things –Which of course matters. Such things as saying, “Thank you God for tonight’s meal..

Most times we morbidly go through breakfast; lunch or dinner as though it was a constant of living without recognising that the provision on our dining table is a virtue of the divine benevolence of God. Some perhaps may dare ask, “Where is the big guy in the sky when I toiled over my hard earned cash?” In that moment of awkward absurdity he had forgotten those who probably made twice of thrice of what he earned but squanders it on ravening sickness as cancer or other such sicknesses. There are some who cannot appreciate the goodness of a cooked meal. That mortal forgets to reflect on those who are homeless, hungry or frost bitten most nights. What makes him differ from them?.

When Jesus took the bread He always blessed it, not after but before eating of it. When you have that benefit of eating, treasure it. Bless those who are kind enough to prepare you a meal, God who graciously provides it and pray for those who lack it. Thankfulness may not guarantee the extinction of scarcity, but it sure gives us the attitude to live through scarcity.


Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and they in turn to the people. They all ate and were satisfied. Afterward the disciples picked up seven basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. Matt 15:36-38.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STORY: A DIARY OF TWO STRANGERS CHAPTER 2

... I turned my back on her exiting the scene, she had first grabbed at her chest, seeming to rip out her heart but grabbed her stomach rather, as if to bring a child out of it, like an evidence to refute my last words. She went down on the floor with a howling cry. I could care less if she wept... I banged the door so loud, the neighbours should have jumped out of bed… but they didn’t ... T hinking about it in this lonely park, I resented this night, “why did I have to come home tonight?” I said out loud.

VACANCY: YOUR MARRIAGE NEEDS YOU

 It is when a man understands submission that the little moments of quietness, the uneasy moments of saying, “I am sorry” and the walking away from a nagging wife saves his marriage. “Do not try to dictate to me! You are always trying to teach me what to do” the 73 year old man barked at his wife, before me and few others. The woman went quiet all through that night. As that scene played over and again in my heart I observe that we cannot attain to a place in marriage where submission fades. In marriages where submission is shown the front door, the bags of one of the couple would soon follow. Where submission is denied access to thrive, the man tends towards autocracy and the woman becomes manipulative and rebellious. Heated arguments, battery, excessive anger, unforgiveness and ultimately divorce; implies both partners are not submitting to one another. I am not blind to certain people and cultures that have great exaggeration and misconception of submission and its applicati

MYTH OR TRUTH: ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED PART II

WHAT THE APOSTLES TAUGHT Grace is Christ's finished work... until ourselves become the finished work... In part II we shall wholly consider what the apostles taught the early church, by the careful layout of their warnings. But before we do, I want you to keep in your heart the thought that warnings becomes a necessity where hazard is a reality. Let's begin from Hebrews.