Skip to main content

WHITE IN BLACKS


AremoOluwa Paul

We are no longer under our colonial masters. Shocked? Perhaps this is an assumption and a debate for diplomatic tables. However, though we claim freedom as a country, individually we bow to western "lordship" and acknowledge their supremacy of lifestyle. The mental stroke we suffered years back trails us today.


"Germs and deadly bacteria lurk in your fingers," they say, while they handpick pop corns in cinemas. We term our folks "Bush boy/girl" when they feast with their God provided cutlery in our claim of superiority or as west-breeds using forks and knives (mental bankruptcy is emphasized here). Though you wash your hands before you “Level” a plate of pounded yam, you can be sure to offend an unknown black spectator musing at you in a corner. Often a sad news, you are too afraid to chew bones rich in calcium at a restaurant. But you brag about calcium pills as supplements in place of the bones you threw away a while ago.


When they dip their fingers in a cake and lick the cream off their fingers. When they hungrily sink their teeth in a burger, we wow them, as robber-like desire wells up from within us. We want the same burger here and now. When they eat their pizza straight off, our knees melt. We are not permitted in our own minds the freedom of living and lifestyle, no, right? It is to be defined and spelt out for us. The colonial mental oppression might be harsh but the brute force of celebrating lost identity by Africans is harsher still.

A black man in chains. courtesy www.malialitman.com.


Somehow, our colonial masters crept into our minds, they hacked into our souls, entangling, it seems with our DNA, they go with us to our private beds. They spy on our decisions and bend our will towards theirs. From a Yoruba adult who cannot articulate his opinion without the use of a single "Geesi” (English) to our marriage. The West screams out of our women like demons during exorcism, "Women are not slaves! These chores are unbearable! It is a modern world! I don’t want to be a mother now, I need time. My career, My career". Those strangers in the minds of our women, the sub conscious feminist movement code, its faint whispers in the heart of the African woman.
Our land and soil have missed us so much, "When shall you rule us again being in tune with nature".
As I sat, the "agedly lands" stood in my silence and probed me. In vocal unison they asked, "Where is our children?" In mournful awe or gory fright I replied, "Statues blown away by a boisterous west wind". Now, their roughly textured palms bare me close, bridging the distance as their mute lipped faces asked one more, the same question. With slicing dagger eyes I replied "they are here eating & drinking in the queen's land, they never left when they left".

When did we need lessons on how to eat our own food? When did homemade meals and ethnic recipes need application of foreign ethics? Yes, I know, I know, and I know, the voice groaned out of me, it is this day when our show of superior gallivanting pride got attached to lifestyles that was never ours. We can’t total what years of colonial rule had done to us. But we can tell what it is doing to us. I hear their whispers as i sink within sea of thoughts... hussshh!!

"You are never free if your liberty is based on others definition of freedom. At best, you become a loyal captive, a chained dog barking at master's trespassers, though you both live in one world; One outside the fence and you behind the gate, the master's reign has no barriers".

Black is not a disease, neither is it a sickness or a stain. It is not a color, hence you can’t wish or rub it off. But here is a old and revered quote "from the dust (black soil) we (black and white) came and to it we return". Even the soil, the fiber of every walking monument carries that "black signatory of our skin". Be unique, be bold and be real, you are Africa, nature's pampered calf.


Note: No racial thoughts or provocation is encouraged. This is simply an appreciation of Africa’s identity.

Email:aremooluwapaul@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STORY: A DIARY OF TWO STRANGERS CHAPTER 2

... I turned my back on her exiting the scene, she had first grabbed at her chest, seeming to rip out her heart but grabbed her stomach rather, as if to bring a child out of it, like an evidence to refute my last words. She went down on the floor with a howling cry. I could care less if she wept... I banged the door so loud, the neighbours should have jumped out of bed… but they didn’t ... T hinking about it in this lonely park, I resented this night, “why did I have to come home tonight?” I said out loud.

VACANCY: YOUR MARRIAGE NEEDS YOU

 It is when a man understands submission that the little moments of quietness, the uneasy moments of saying, “I am sorry” and the walking away from a nagging wife saves his marriage. “Do not try to dictate to me! You are always trying to teach me what to do” the 73 year old man barked at his wife, before me and few others. The woman went quiet all through that night. As that scene played over and again in my heart I observe that we cannot attain to a place in marriage where submission fades. In marriages where submission is shown the front door, the bags of one of the couple would soon follow. Where submission is denied access to thrive, the man tends towards autocracy and the woman becomes manipulative and rebellious. Heated arguments, battery, excessive anger, unforgiveness and ultimately divorce; implies both partners are not submitting to one another. I am not blind to certain people and cultures that have great exaggeration and misconception of submission and its applicati

MYTH OR TRUTH: ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED PART II

WHAT THE APOSTLES TAUGHT Grace is Christ's finished work... until ourselves become the finished work... In part II we shall wholly consider what the apostles taught the early church, by the careful layout of their warnings. But before we do, I want you to keep in your heart the thought that warnings becomes a necessity where hazard is a reality. Let's begin from Hebrews.