Skip to main content

QUEST FOR COUNTRY


POEM: Quest For Country

I am a wanderer wandering in a desert of distant land among these deserted tribes. I walk among peddlers of religion and culture, their petty chatter and discordant meddling, these merchants’ sybaritic fiddling of men’s souls, mowing down as they go. Their barter trade and rhetoric banter a baffle to sanity. In this quagmire of riddles I am in search of my country. Where can I find her? The rustling leaves rotting away beneath my feet return no answer. My homeland once called Green, flowing White with peace, was known as hope to many dreams. In this dusty ash now to search, a descending journey to the catacombs of hell itself, may I see my bride, my country, unhurt and alive. To the depths I now descend.

We are one, faceless shadows whispers and fade beneath soundless migrating clouds. Uncertain as their form, uncanny in their darkness, concocting within the shadows, conjuring the storm of doubts in the drumbeats of silent noise, creeping from tree to tree, vanishing away as soon as they appear behind the presence of dying trees, with scarred branches of lifeless leaves. Until the moon's shine was blotted by the darkness of gossips and lies.

Their woven claws of evil, strong sharp claws forged perhaps by devil’s Darksmith. The forest rodents desert me. They seek shelter not from me but the shadows along. Alone now to self, am buried within my own cowardly fear. Will I forge ahead where no mortal dare? Among these crowdless crowd of forest trees and shrubs where can I find a citizen’s beloved? My beloved, standing elegant as the Oak, she is majestic as a favoured Mahogany.

I stumble blind from towns into villages. I feel pondering minds preying my conscience, they seek to drain me but I must go on. I am afraid I cannot return. I made my vow in the chambers of my heart but my oath before the eyes of all. Until I reach my bride I cannot rest. Though darkness fondles me everywhere I turn, the caresses of my bride is alive as her first touch. Nevertheless I carry on not for fear but for the fear of fear itself. These probing eyes judging my cause, one more convict to commit to jail, but not today. The faint sparkles of flickering flames keep me warm when no words to say. I am a bandit of the fate you frame.

You are not my brother! Say the common ghosts that stalks the country folks from the land once called Green. Shall I be tempted to lust the same? To nurse their thoughts and agree we are not same? Yet I know reason and anger are two thunderbolts that don’t strike a man same time. The daggers of my mouth must now be guided by thoughts. Therefore, I cannot answer the grumbling ghosts. The rousing rage must return to the abyss of its cage. Though I know these ghosts so well as my own scent but they exist because we created them to be. The hate they seek in me I do not have. I have no love for the antiques of our antiquity, my bride is lost, this is my cause. Onward I forge.

Inside my mind I roam, in it lays my answer. My brother is no different than I. He was born as I was, suckled what I sucked, walked this earth as I do. When I find my brother, I know as he knows, we are mirrors aface one another. My pain is his tale. His worries have been my suffering. His blood is the sweats of my brows.

Where do we begin from here right now? I look for my country, where can I find her? A mist or a vain pursuit of shadows, a mirage or the blurry visions of a drunk? She eludes me in politics and ethnicity. The grumbling northern wind silences the sweet sounds of her footsteps. The Southern rain erases the artistry of her footprints. So the wind and the rain came dancing in divorce. Along came a hurricane. An impending disaster had whisked my shy bride away from sight.

At the rough root of mountain caves and atop high cliffs, the drums of warring echoes from within, heartbeats, the wailing cry we pet to sleep. The sigh we must bury beneath our breath, in it lays the torment of the citizen’s pride. For if the ghosts hears, who shall we tell? That my bride is haunted by fears. To my brother I must reach. He is a warrior and my guide. Two hands cannot dare the problems caused by four. Where is that narrow cause for which we are born? Born to fight and to strive? Where is the answer to the oppression of one, the injustice of all?

In this darkness the birds mock me. Black birds circles over me. These are scavenging vultures tweeting propaganda. Predators of truth, the catastrophe of peace, such is their sport. They are mocker and destruction of just men. With every swoop, every wing raised in flight so my trials and my beloved’s, to turn my back against where I must face. Them I cannot touch. Me, I cannot fly. Myself I cannot hide from their mocking tweets. Grumpy old, divides the foolish young and proud, then the spoil.

The future is a powdery substance blown to the wind. Do we chase the wind itself or the substance now invisible to sight? Or should I stand here, weeping my misery? Weeping for what I wasn’t given?  The silver spoon my lips did not kiss? How can I gather what's lost? By this hidden river behind the curtain of my eyes? The veil to my own soul? We are one! The returned shadows say. Ignoring my quest, my thoughts altogether. Yet they have no face, only a mask that covers their acts. Where is my brother in this dark of time? For the South wind refuses to yield, the West wind has gone to roost in the forest of plenty, I see a raging storm, euroclydone would one day be born.

Do you drink it? A creature emerged. A Goblin with a gold crest to its chest. Drink what? I asked this dark creature of the darkness. The wine of pitiful sleep, the numbness of patriotism, the deafness to injustice, the slumber to violence and hatred and all that is and will be. He snarled, hissed then glee. Never in my life have I seen a pitiful creature beggarly in its own contentment. I looked the other way.

I drink from the wine of tolerance, I am espoused to peace, I am the twin of unity, a slave to country whom I freely love and serve. I seek my brother to share with me, the ravishing red wine of this prosperity. We shall set out sails and justice shall blow behind our trail. We seek a country not by politics or hate. We refuse that wine mingled with gall. Nevertheless I'll tell my brother and compatriot I saw you.

Together we shall one day return and build our home, our country, here where I stand, with a map without lines. The sun of our strength shall brightly shine. In the many sweat and blood already offered, ours will add, it will be part of the many that makes the mighty ocean swim. But now I must look for my brother, in no state but from all state, in no region but cruising through all. Neither Northern deserts sands, Western mountains crag, clay particles of Eastern crust, nor the oily sand of the southern ridge, nothing shall take our eyes from our pride.

What no politics see and no policies fix, we would walk hand in hand, mould with bare hands our bricks. On bended knees with faces against the wind, we promise a country where all is just and all men free. I see the future the great country of Nigeria. One not only restructured but restored. One who walks peace and talk it. One who’s Law is never blunt, the balances of justice unrigged, our bride never tricked and raped. On this grass we call home, not to one but to all and many whom shall be called. We shall build our homes upon our hopes.

We can be great, greater than we have ever known. Though this moon shine and the darkness abound, I seek my brother and compatriot, and together we shall find our beloved country. Now a sleeping queen we must awake when I reunite with my brother again. This our God is all we pray.

Paul AremoOluwa
October 1, 2017

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY NIGERIA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STORY: A DIARY OF TWO STRANGERS CHAPTER 2

... I turned my back on her exiting the scene, she had first grabbed at her chest, seeming to rip out her heart but grabbed her stomach rather, as if to bring a child out of it, like an evidence to refute my last words. She went down on the floor with a howling cry. I could care less if she wept... I banged the door so loud, the neighbours should have jumped out of bed… but they didn’t ... T hinking about it in this lonely park, I resented this night, “why did I have to come home tonight?” I said out loud.

VACANCY: YOUR MARRIAGE NEEDS YOU

 It is when a man understands submission that the little moments of quietness, the uneasy moments of saying, “I am sorry” and the walking away from a nagging wife saves his marriage. “Do not try to dictate to me! You are always trying to teach me what to do” the 73 year old man barked at his wife, before me and few others. The woman went quiet all through that night. As that scene played over and again in my heart I observe that we cannot attain to a place in marriage where submission fades. In marriages where submission is shown the front door, the bags of one of the couple would soon follow. Where submission is denied access to thrive, the man tends towards autocracy and the woman becomes manipulative and rebellious. Heated arguments, battery, excessive anger, unforgiveness and ultimately divorce; implies both partners are not submitting to one another. I am not blind to certain people and cultures that have great exaggeration and misconception of submission and its applicati

MYTH OR TRUTH: ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED PART II

WHAT THE APOSTLES TAUGHT Grace is Christ's finished work... until ourselves become the finished work... In part II we shall wholly consider what the apostles taught the early church, by the careful layout of their warnings. But before we do, I want you to keep in your heart the thought that warnings becomes a necessity where hazard is a reality. Let's begin from Hebrews.