Skip to main content

HOW WE CONTRADICT OUR FAITH BY WHAT WE SAY

Not all scriptures written under the Old Covenant/Testament implies the will of God for Christians today. Certain scriptures are only applicable under the context of the era of Law. We cannot quote all verses of the Old Testament including some texts from the Psalms and still be in line with the will of God for us as Christians. It will at best be contradictory of our profession of faith. Sometimes we don’t know how kneel deep we are declaring Old Testament scriptures that is contrary to our reality under the New Covenant. We believe one thing but confess the contrary. Faith in the heart must align with the confession of the mouth else the cycle of faith is incomplete (Romans 10:9-10).
Some of us may not know it’s possible to quote certain Old Testament scriptures and not be in God’s will. Let use examples to uncover common contradictions.

"Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them." Psalm 55:15

I cannot use the above scripture in prayer against any human, no matter how thick a thorn they are in my flesh because under the New Covenant which I stand it is written:

"Ye have heard that it had been said (under the Law) Thou shalt love your neighbour and (could) hate thine enemy. But I say to you (Under the New Covenant) love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for (not against) them which despitefully use (relate with) you, and persecute you; that you may be the children of your Father which is in heaven..." Matthew 5:43-45.

Obviously we see the glaring contradiction of the Old and New on how we should relate to those perceived as enemies. But we cannot throw the child away with the bath water. There are universal truths that cut across all scriptures. Through the Old and New Testament, those principles remain valid.
For example:

"It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most High." Psalm 92:1

And

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1Thessalonians 5:18

We see a harmony here on the topic of thanksgiving; thanksgiving is therefore a universal truth of scriptures.
Let’s look at one declaration of a scripture that contradicts the reality of a New Covenant believer.

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: I Will Dwell In The House Of The Lord For Ever." Psalm 23:6

Does this scripture in any way contradict the Christian experience under the New Covenant?
Under the Old Covenant we know the House Of God was a building structure; a temple made of animal skins and coloured clothing before it was made of stones sited in Jerusalem in the days of Solomon. It was under the era where a building was separated to the Lord that David wrote "I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." The temple is the house of the Lord and David made references to the "House of the Lord/God" severally in His psalms.

"We took sweet counsel together and walked unto the HOUSE OF GOD in company" Psalm 55:14

"Blessed are they that dwell in your (God's) House: they will be still praising you." Psalm 84:4

"I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into the HOUSE OF THE LORD." Psalm 122:1

We know from the three scriptures above that David was referring to a building structure and nothing else, as this was the experience of everyone under the Old Covenant. So David could declare he will dwell in that House of God pitched by the hands of men. Under the Old Covenant God indwelling man was not a reality but a promise (see Isaiah 66:1-2). Now the Spirit of grace protests to all who have believed in Lord Jesus:

"But Solomon built him an house. Howbeit the Most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will you build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest? Had not my hand made all these things?" Acts 7:48-50

When a Christian, while reciting "Surely" says "And I shall dwell in the House of the Lord," it is expedient we ask, which house of the Lord do you intend to dwell? Perhaps, you are not aware that the phrase "I shall dwell in the House of God" contradicts the Faith of the New Covenant. The House of God is no longer fixed at a geographical location but you and I are (1Corinthians 3:16-17). It is not you who dwells in the House of God but God indwells you and you became God’s house. That is the simple truth.

How can Christians recite psalm 23:6? I believe it should be with understanding and in cognisance of this Faith in which we stand. This is the way I declare it:
"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will continually remain the house of the Lord forever." Other scriptures suggest this line of thought:

"But Christ as a Son over His own house; whose house are we, IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end" Hebrews 3:6

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies (which is the temple of God) a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your (body’s) reasonable service." Romans 12:1 with emphasis

Therefore, When I declare Psalm 23:6 I am making a solemn vow to God to continually remain God's house by holding firm my hope in him and by reassuring God that I would always keep His temple, which is my body holy because he dwells in my body and my body is for the service of the Lord.

But if a man insists on reading Psalm 23:6 verbatim, He certainly can, if he first acknowledges that the House of God he now refers to is the whole Body of Christ (all believers). As individuals we are the House of God and collectively we remain the House of God. When you acknowledge that every believer of Christ is this HOUSE you refer to in Psalm 23:6, this then is the implication: "I will never depart/forsake the entirety of the body of believers wherever I meet them. I will dwell among them and have fellowship with them despite differences of doctrines, ethnicity or race. This agrees with the scriptures:

"Unto the Church of God which is at corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus,called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, (who is) both theirs and ours." 1Corinthians 1:2

"And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another" Hebrews 10:24-25
“Welcome and receive [to your hearts] one another, then, even as Christ has welcomed and received you, for the glory of God.” Romans 15:7 AMPLIFIED

When you say Psalm 23:6 with understanding and appropriate it with cognisance to the New Covenant, I am certain you’ll have the blessings attached to it. I advise you read all scriptures of the bible but rightly divide the word of truth. Contradiction of your faith only exists when the scripture you hold doesn’t agree with the realities of the New Covenant. Spend time with the Spirit of Truth and He'll surely guide you. Don’t conform to traditions or conventions. The more we are led by the Spirit, the further we are entrenched in the New Covenant.

The Lord Bless You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STORY: A DIARY OF TWO STRANGERS CHAPTER 2

... I turned my back on her exiting the scene, she had first grabbed at her chest, seeming to rip out her heart but grabbed her stomach rather, as if to bring a child out of it, like an evidence to refute my last words. She went down on the floor with a howling cry. I could care less if she wept... I banged the door so loud, the neighbours should have jumped out of bed… but they didn’t ... T hinking about it in this lonely park, I resented this night, “why did I have to come home tonight?” I said out loud.

VACANCY: YOUR MARRIAGE NEEDS YOU

 It is when a man understands submission that the little moments of quietness, the uneasy moments of saying, “I am sorry” and the walking away from a nagging wife saves his marriage. “Do not try to dictate to me! You are always trying to teach me what to do” the 73 year old man barked at his wife, before me and few others. The woman went quiet all through that night. As that scene played over and again in my heart I observe that we cannot attain to a place in marriage where submission fades. In marriages where submission is shown the front door, the bags of one of the couple would soon follow. Where submission is denied access to thrive, the man tends towards autocracy and the woman becomes manipulative and rebellious. Heated arguments, battery, excessive anger, unforgiveness and ultimately divorce; implies both partners are not submitting to one another. I am not blind to certain people and cultures that have great exaggeration and misconception of submission and its applicati

MYTH OR TRUTH: ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED PART II

WHAT THE APOSTLES TAUGHT Grace is Christ's finished work... until ourselves become the finished work... In part II we shall wholly consider what the apostles taught the early church, by the careful layout of their warnings. But before we do, I want you to keep in your heart the thought that warnings becomes a necessity where hazard is a reality. Let's begin from Hebrews.