Skip to main content

Story: Diary of a black male teenager 1


...I became afraid. No! Terrified to bath in the bathroom even when it was vacant, even in his absence I feared him...
Chapter One
Dear dairy, the nightmares began when I woke up one morning. I was fifteen years old at the time; I headed for the compound’s public toilet as was my routine most mornings. Immediately I opened the toilet door I noticed the floor was wet and I could smell urine, which signified am not the first to visit, the single toilet was shared among at least twenty three neighbours of all age brackets, it’s a miracle the ceramic toilet bowl retained some level of whiteness. I had always loved the toilet floor dry. It somehow aids me in doing some level of thinking, although I always go into the toilet with my own plastic mobile potty.

The toilet was the only place I am ever alone apart from my mind, it is where I am isolated from the world around me, it’s where I could be anyone, travel where I wished, live out my comic books and indulge my imaginations to explore other worlds. In a small compound of eight rooms assigned to eight families each doors staring at your neighbours’. The compound synonymous to a warehouse that accommodates a mass production of little children, young adults and teenagers, it is laughable to even toy with the idea of desiring to be alone.
I squat over the plastic potty to do the business of the day, suspending my buttocks mid-air above it and clutching my two feet with my two hands for balance. I stared on the wet concrete floor, I shifted my gaze to the toilet walls splashed with water by someone who obviously was tired of being on queue to use the bathroom and had converted the toilet to a temporal bathroom. I tilted my head upward to the rusty roofing sheet above me; it was full of unnatural eyes through which sun rays infiltrated the toilet. Finally I cast my eyes at my body. I picked a picture so unfamiliar it startled me the first. For the first time, I could see strands of hairs.

Not that there was anything special or amusing seeing hairs piercing through my skin except where it was now located. It was around my male genital. How did it get there? How long it went unnoticed? I could not tell.
I peered down again with some level of seriousness, then I smiled-  maybe because it means I would be treated as an adult soon or maybe seeing it there has its own kind of feeling. I was proud. Finally, my hair growing hormones had woken up from slumber to accord me some royal honour of maturity.
I paused my smile and abscond my thoughts. It looked like neatly mowed grassland down there, I thought to myself. The hairs were barely peeping over my skin.
It was not like I was going to tell anyone about it, or deliberately walk around nude to exercise some bragging rights but it was an identity, an initiation into the league of adults.  I pulled at the strands of hair with mixed reactions of slight pain and tickle.
That morning ushered me into a train all teenagers had to board, a train that transport not just your body but gives your soul a free ride of new feelings and cravings as you are being driven into adulthood.
Cravings you dare not ask your parent how to satisfy and feelings you are too ashamed to tell anyone you feel. Dear dairy, I take you through my journey. How the hunger for sex became more essential for a fifteen year old male than his three square meals.

I kept this secret to myself pretty much but with fascination. Most afternoons I would visit the toilet or bathroom depending on their vacancy. There was no “Gold Rush” for the toilet and bathroom in the afternoons so I would go there and take the time to stare at my pubic hairs and pray it becomes bushy soon. It was a centre of attraction for me. Every twenty minutes or so am back there just to see if my hormones have not played a cruel trick on me by withdrawing my pubic hairs, like I could go bald down there overnight. Those were the exciting moments of teen I could remember and actually smile about.

At fifteen I was still bathing in open space at the back of our ever busy compound. Yes, till I was close to seventeen. Why? I had a phobia which I got acquainted with when my dad scolded me for using the bathroom one morning; I was fourteen at the time.
I made a dash for the bathroom before someone much older than me. I was next in line to make use of the bathroom but loving dairy, in the world I lived back then, the older person gets all the privileges ahead of those younger, so try not to wrap your mind around it, it doesn’t bother me anymore. But on that morning I was desperate. I was almost running late for school where the teachers’ canes await my buttocks.

My dad called me back out of the bathroom, “What are you searching for in the bathroom?” With the bucket of water in my hands I replied, “To take my bath.” “Are you unaware that older people are waiting to use the bathroom?”
“I am sir, but I allowed two elderly people use the bathroom ahead of me, now I am almost late for…” “Shut up! Are you the type of person to have his bath in the bathroom? What are you trying to hide?” He pointed in between my legs.

“Henceforth take your bath in the open space where dishes are washed, I don’t want to ever see you use the bathroom again. Is that clear?” With all sense of my dignity striped away and yet, a deep feeling of reverence for my dad, and tear filled eyes I said, “Yes sir!”
Tears filled with puzzling thoughts that my own daddy did not realise I was growing up. I carried the bucket of water to the open space of the backyard and had my bath. Sighs… That was the beginning of the other beginnings.

Since my dad’s rebuke, I became afraid. No! Terrified to bath in the bathroom even when it was vacant, even in his absence I feared him. Dear dairy, where I come from fear is synonymous to respect.

I bathed amidst children aged six, seven and below. I bathed with everyone around the busy backyard peering at my body, I felt their eyes tickle every part of me and in the depth of my soul I could hear the whispers of their dark fantasies.
Sometimes some of the loud married women stare at my private part; they take a long look at it to let me know it is intentional. At times they teased me about the size of my male organ. One of them in particular took to this habit, with keen interest she watched me bathe anytime I had an erection.
The day she noticed I had pubic hairs, the twenty something neighbours got to know, she was loud about it, pointing at my private part, she must have stared really hard to notice the just growing hairs from the distance she stood. I had to kneel in between the plastic bucket of water. I was so ashamed and couldn’t utter a word.
However, I never apportioned her any blame. My dad thrashed my self-worth why should she save it, my dad offered my body for public exhibition, the women and children who stared were audience honouring his invitation.

Dear diary this was one of the toughest, longest and fiercest battle within me, the battle of shame and insignificance. I was so alone, I felt so helpless. No teen should be allowed to suffer such humiliation. My heart burns telling you this. Why? After many years it still hurt, it hurts and it hurts badly. Why was there nobody to stand up for me? Not even my mother? Sobs… It was a period where my parent was intoxicated with the wine of insensitivity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STORY: A DIARY OF TWO STRANGERS CHAPTER 2

... I turned my back on her exiting the scene, she had first grabbed at her chest, seeming to rip out her heart but grabbed her stomach rather, as if to bring a child out of it, like an evidence to refute my last words. She went down on the floor with a howling cry. I could care less if she wept... I banged the door so loud, the neighbours should have jumped out of bed… but they didn’t ... T hinking about it in this lonely park, I resented this night, “why did I have to come home tonight?” I said out loud.

VACANCY: YOUR MARRIAGE NEEDS YOU

 It is when a man understands submission that the little moments of quietness, the uneasy moments of saying, “I am sorry” and the walking away from a nagging wife saves his marriage. “Do not try to dictate to me! You are always trying to teach me what to do” the 73 year old man barked at his wife, before me and few others. The woman went quiet all through that night. As that scene played over and again in my heart I observe that we cannot attain to a place in marriage where submission fades. In marriages where submission is shown the front door, the bags of one of the couple would soon follow. Where submission is denied access to thrive, the man tends towards autocracy and the woman becomes manipulative and rebellious. Heated arguments, battery, excessive anger, unforgiveness and ultimately divorce; implies both partners are not submitting to one another. I am not blind to certain people and cultures that have great exaggeration and misconception of submission and its applicati

MYTH OR TRUTH: ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED PART II

WHAT THE APOSTLES TAUGHT Grace is Christ's finished work... until ourselves become the finished work... In part II we shall wholly consider what the apostles taught the early church, by the careful layout of their warnings. But before we do, I want you to keep in your heart the thought that warnings becomes a necessity where hazard is a reality. Let's begin from Hebrews.