Skip to main content

True Story: Diary of a black male Teen 2

Chapter Two
(The Urge)

What was more disturbing to note is the fact that my dad treated me as one with a plague.
Puberty brought with it certain daily demands, sexual arousal was one of the daily rites. I was afraid to walk the streets during the day without tight underwear we referred to as "Paiint" in the Nigerian Pigin language, because of the bulge inside my shorts due to an erection. Other times I had to hold down my erected male organ through one of my pockets to weigh down the bulge.

I was scared of what people may say, I was trying to avoid a scene or be laughed at, many times the penile erection defied my thoughts and reasoning, the only answer would then be the brute force of my hands pinching it (self-inflicted pain) to restore it back to equilibrium. This crisis was not necessarily aided by the input of my thoughts; it just happens without my permission leaving me to solve the puzzle of how to turn “It” off.
Why doesn't my private part respond to me as all other parts of my body? I would walk through the often crowded streets sweating, streams that run down my armpit down my pocketed hand, while I pray, “God make it stop.”
     
Sunny days was quite an ordeal, I try not to allow blood flow down to my penis, which I discovered was the mystery behind an erection in my biology class years later. Sunny days had a pact with my genital; I believed that a metaphysical force was behind my erection on sunny days. Frankly, I neither know there was a price in turning an adult nor the stage I was currently undergoing is called Puberty. Nobody prepared me for the challenges of puberty, for the bodily changes and the feelings that nested in my heart.

None of my siblings knew of my plight, maybe because I was the first male child, the third in the family tree.  My mum, she was supposed to know everything. Once upon a time she could sense emotions of any of us with precision but during my journey into adult she went numb, like she meant to say, "Here on, you've got to figure it on your own." It was not only absurd but ridiculous that on my own I would discuss my erection palaver with mom, so I didn’t consider approaching her not even once.
     Though, I wished in my silence she would by her wisdom figure out what was going on within me but she never did and I stopped hoping she would. Those days I knew loneliness in our one room apartment and loneliness knew me too well. Those were the days the brownish white ceiling of our one room apartment was my companion, friend and confidant.

Years into my adult I later discovered that Mom was depressed during those years, in the early stages of my puberty mom wanted to give up on her marriage.
She was tired of contending with the two demons that hung over our Ghetto neighbourhood and her marriage, Poverty and dad’s Infidelity.
But she hid her inner struggles so well we never knew back then.
Sigh… Humph!

How do you explain having an erection when you are sleeping on the mat amongst your siblings, among three females and my brother?
When we all woke up same time in the morning and dad hurried us out of the room or face his wrath, only to discover, as the norm with males in the morning that you woke up with an erection.
It was such mornings that I looked into the sky and wonder why God decided to make me male. For years, I wished I was born female.

One morning, I woke up with whitish stains on the pelvic region of my trousers, right below the location of my zip. I couldn't explain how it got there. I trembled to be frank as I walked from the room to embrace the early morning sun.
I came face to face with a neighbour (male), he looked down on my trousers with the whitish spots obvious. It was too late to hide. I guess it was something familiar to him because of the way he stared below my waist region.
Like a felon before the judge I stopped walking, blocking his path. I greeted him and paused. My heart beat had increased almost immediately when he also stopped directly opposite me, he was observing the whitish spots on my trousers from where he stood. A few steps tore us apart as a referee separates opponents in the boxing ring. Suddenly, he spoke,
"What stained your trousers down there?"
I answered with a bit of indifference and a shyness that might have been in admittance of guilt,
"I don't know! Maybe stains while eating, I drank pap yesterday." I lied.

But almost immediately he refuted my claim, "This is not pap!" The next phrase from his lips was the first time I would hear it, yet the words possessed a force that nearly knocked me down for reasons I cannot tell.
"This is Sperm!" he asserted.
His face carried an expression to something extremely disgusting like the uncertainty of the word itself.
I frowned at his look almost immediately; I felt a mix of anger and resentment towards him because sperm or whatever came out of my body could disgust him so much he carried such facial expression.
    I walked away from him without a reply carrying a look of indifference, he watched me go, and he forged ahead without uttering any more word. But that word he spoke lay retentive in my mind.

I took great courage to approach and explain to my parents about the short encounter with the neighbour.
My dad examined the spots as though I was a lab rat housing dangerous antigens. My mum stood next to him like a rookie beside a detective at a crime scene. I was motionless and speechless, shy and anxious.
I moved about a fixed point only when the strong and firm hands of my hands ordered me to turn.
After five to eight minutes, both (dad and mum) didn't give any explanation or a suggestion after their examination. No! Not a single word from my parents.
"Mr Kazeem said it is sperm." I said, to break the silence and to get my parents to speak to me.
If by some means I could hear my parents tell me, “You are not abnormal, its OK son. It is natural. You are going through puberty that’s all. We will guide you through it and help you find answers, the courage and strength you’ll need.”
Rather Mum burst out, "Don't mind that ‘Yeye’ man, he talks dirty."
I felt her annoyance at the neighbour, probably because he had broken the truth to me bluntly.
"Go take your bath and wash your trousers" dad dismissed me.
“But get me a bowl of water and a bar of soap to wash my hands first.”
His last statement made my intestine burn as though someone spilled molten lava on it.
“He didn’t even touch the spot, for heaven’s sake why did he need to wash his hands? Washing his hands with water is one thing, but using soap… do I disgust him that much?”
I screamed out loud somewhere in the private space of my mind. I left the room banging the door a little too hard on my exit.

I got angry with my mum but especially with my dad who obviously had a clue but wasn't going to be swayed to say a thing.
Perhaps the neighbour was kind to me and even did me a favour in approaching me than the cruel of my dad's deliberate silence.
What was more disturbing to note is the fact that my dad treated me as one with a plague. A plague so dangerous it requires the help of a bar soap to be safe after close contact.

What caused the whitish stains on my trousers? Why should I wash my trousers and why was the neighbour disgusted? Why did dad wash his hands because he touched me? Does dad intend to trick me into believing nothing happened by remaining silent?
What is a sperm? How does it come from one's genitals? What does it look like? What is its importance? Does it have anything to do with my constant erection? Is it connected with the dream I had overnight?
My anger turned into frustration and my frustration turned into curiosity; I intend from then to know whatever is wrong or happening to me.

My parents were hiding something from me and I want to know what it is.
But beyond that I had an unquenchable craving to give expression to that urge that pumps blood into very of my veins, which made my heart beat ten times faster, especially after yester night’s dream that feeling had intensified. I later got to know dear diary that what I felt had a name… My new friends told me, it is known as libido.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STORY: A DIARY OF TWO STRANGERS CHAPTER 2

... I turned my back on her exiting the scene, she had first grabbed at her chest, seeming to rip out her heart but grabbed her stomach rather, as if to bring a child out of it, like an evidence to refute my last words. She went down on the floor with a howling cry. I could care less if she wept... I banged the door so loud, the neighbours should have jumped out of bed… but they didn’t ... T hinking about it in this lonely park, I resented this night, “why did I have to come home tonight?” I said out loud.

VACANCY: YOUR MARRIAGE NEEDS YOU

 It is when a man understands submission that the little moments of quietness, the uneasy moments of saying, “I am sorry” and the walking away from a nagging wife saves his marriage. “Do not try to dictate to me! You are always trying to teach me what to do” the 73 year old man barked at his wife, before me and few others. The woman went quiet all through that night. As that scene played over and again in my heart I observe that we cannot attain to a place in marriage where submission fades. In marriages where submission is shown the front door, the bags of one of the couple would soon follow. Where submission is denied access to thrive, the man tends towards autocracy and the woman becomes manipulative and rebellious. Heated arguments, battery, excessive anger, unforgiveness and ultimately divorce; implies both partners are not submitting to one another. I am not blind to certain people and cultures that have great exaggeration and misconception of submission and its applicati

MYTH OR TRUTH: ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED PART II

WHAT THE APOSTLES TAUGHT Grace is Christ's finished work... until ourselves become the finished work... In part II we shall wholly consider what the apostles taught the early church, by the careful layout of their warnings. But before we do, I want you to keep in your heart the thought that warnings becomes a necessity where hazard is a reality. Let's begin from Hebrews.