Skip to main content

She who "Rocked" us Grow

My heart worships your kindness and strength Mami Atata (dearest mother).

I watched beaming with smiles as a group of women most above their fifties danced circling amongst themselves singing in the Ekiti tongue. It made me laughed the first today as I sat back on a chair wiggling both legs. I realised those almost child like women having fun because of today have raised the man and called the woman out of us.


My mind raced back to my mother whose tears am acquainted with, whose voice I know so well. I wasn't close to her because I was her last but because I could tell when she cries without any tears dropping. Her hands sew my school uniform, stitched it when torn and replaced it when the stitches can no longer save NINE. On the days she missed me so so, she would scroll through her message inbox to read messages I sent her, she would cry and smile, then call me to let me know how emotional she was reading those texts. You won't believe she has got messages I sent her that dates far back as 2011 on her mobile phone. When I thought about a picture for the header of this article there was none more deserving of the spot than her.

They worry over us so much we end up worried about ourselves. They hold their chest and gasp out of fear over our silly pranks. They cry over a blown electrical fuse, they try to set our baggage neat and perfect. We scream and tell them to let us be. We get busy and forget they exist. We run away from being answerable to them and sometimes snub them out of anger for their excessive care. They can't help who they are,after all they are just God's invented gift for such people as we.
They saw and clothed our nakedness, they nurture and bless us irrespective of what we've done. They teach us to be right and preach us sore. Out of their brokenness and helpless situations they helped water and build our dreams. They are happy to be in the dark, smile and watch us walk in the light.

And to those women who have lost their child(ren). This remains the day the earth is frozen in motion and forced to stand and applaud you, Yes you. Rest in the assurance that your child(ren) loved you and you were indeed worthy of their love, here I stand and there they are telling you through me how loved you are and the heavens bear them witness on this.
Ese Iyami
Emela mama
Nagode ma
To those adults whose mom are gone, she died with you last in her thoughts. She doesn't  want you to be sad  on such a day as this, she would want you to scroll your photo albums, look at her pictures and laugh till you cry and say, "Thank you". If you've never known your mum, watch the stars tonight, take a deep breath you are surrounded by her prayers and her heartbeat, indeed mothers are guardian angels all around.

To the breast that nursed, to the back that bore, to the feet that danced to make me laugh, to the eyes that cried to see me thrive, to the hands that nurtured to watch me grow, to the heart filled with love till I could respond back through that love, to the womb that housed this adult, to the lips that guide till I learned, to the wisdom that is true even now I know, my heart worships your kindness and strength Mami Atata (dearest mother).

Happy Mother's Day
Its your existence that carved ours out...

Share and celebrate all Mothers

Paul Aremooluwa
6th March, 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STORY: A DIARY OF TWO STRANGERS CHAPTER 2

... I turned my back on her exiting the scene, she had first grabbed at her chest, seeming to rip out her heart but grabbed her stomach rather, as if to bring a child out of it, like an evidence to refute my last words. She went down on the floor with a howling cry. I could care less if she wept... I banged the door so loud, the neighbours should have jumped out of bed… but they didn’t ... T hinking about it in this lonely park, I resented this night, “why did I have to come home tonight?” I said out loud.

VACANCY: YOUR MARRIAGE NEEDS YOU

 It is when a man understands submission that the little moments of quietness, the uneasy moments of saying, “I am sorry” and the walking away from a nagging wife saves his marriage. “Do not try to dictate to me! You are always trying to teach me what to do” the 73 year old man barked at his wife, before me and few others. The woman went quiet all through that night. As that scene played over and again in my heart I observe that we cannot attain to a place in marriage where submission fades. In marriages where submission is shown the front door, the bags of one of the couple would soon follow. Where submission is denied access to thrive, the man tends towards autocracy and the woman becomes manipulative and rebellious. Heated arguments, battery, excessive anger, unforgiveness and ultimately divorce; implies both partners are not submitting to one another. I am not blind to certain people and cultures that have great exaggeration and misconception of submission and its applicati

MYTH OR TRUTH: ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED PART II

WHAT THE APOSTLES TAUGHT Grace is Christ's finished work... until ourselves become the finished work... In part II we shall wholly consider what the apostles taught the early church, by the careful layout of their warnings. But before we do, I want you to keep in your heart the thought that warnings becomes a necessity where hazard is a reality. Let's begin from Hebrews.